>> Introduction to Industrial Automation & Control
This new course combines lecture and hands-on labs to provide an overview of industrial measurement and control. Technicians, engineers, and managers are provided with a foundation for communication with other control system professionals. Serves as a solid fundamental course for introduction to other ISA courses.
You will be able to :
- Understand the role of measurement and control in industrial processes.
- Compare continuous, batch, and discrete control and how they are used in industry.
- Interpret measurement and control terminology.
- Compare the methods and devices used in temperature, pressure, level, and flow measurement.
- Understand safe laboratory practices and the proper use of laboratory test equipment including instrument calibrators.
- Apply hands-on skills learned in the laboratory exercises.
- Connect, calibrate, and operate various measurement devices including smart transmitters.
- Understand, operate, test and tune a simple feedback control loop.
- Compare different control system architectures including single loop controllers, DCS, and PLCs.
- Apply ISA standards to interpret symbols and documentation.
- Communicate the latest trends in measurement and control.
- Communicate with measurement and control professionals.
You will cover :
- Concepts of Process Control : Continuous Process Control/ Batch Process Control/ Discrete Control/ the Role of Measurement and Control in Industry/ Graphic Description of Loop Components/ Component Loop Dynamics.
- Industrial Measurement Systems : Overview / Sensor Selection and Characteristics/ Transmitters/ Smart Transmitters.
- Pressure Measurement : Concepts / Instruments / Differential Pressure Measurement.
- Level Measurement : Concepts/ Hydrostatic Head Level Measurement/ Capacitance Level Measurement/ Ultrasonic Level Measurement/ Level Measurement by Weight.
- Flow Measurement : Fluid Fundamentals/ Methods and Concepts/ Differential Head Flow Measurement/ Velocity Flow Measurement Devices / Mass Flowmeters.
- Temperature Measurement : Concepts / Thermometers/ Thermocouples/ RTDs/ Thermistors/ Temperature Transmitters.
- Industrial Process Control : Basic Feedback Control/ Components/PID Control/Final Control Elements/ Tuning Concepts.
- Trends in Control Technologies : Smart Components / Fieldbus.
- Proper Operation and Use of Test Equipment : Calibrators.
Classroom/Laboratory Exercises :
- Calibrate process measurement devices for level, temperature, pressure and flow using a variety of state-of-the-art calibration equipment.
- Configuration of smart transmitters.
- Operation of digital controllers.
- Learn control loop tuning using software.
- Build and tune an actual feedback control loop.
- Flow measurements review.
A hand-held calculator should be brought to class.